Last updated April 15, 2010
On March 29, 2010, Jobster.com was acquired by Zapoint, Inc.
Jobster is in compliance with the EU Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data from the European Union.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you should first contact us or send mail to:
Attn: Privacy Officer
222 Third St
Cambridge, MA 02142
About Jobster and the information we collect
Your Personally Identifiable Information Collected by Jobster:
- Our registration form requires you to give us certain information such as your name, email address and password. You may always choose not to provide such Personally Identifiable Information; however, this may limit our ability to provide you with a specific service or particular content.
- We may also collect demographic and other data, which may include Personally Identifiable Information. This information is provided by you, and you have the choice whether or not to input information about yourself.
- Demographic information is divided into two categories: 1) "non-public information", which consists of personal or financial information and one-on-one communications between you and other Users of the Site; and 2) "public information", which consists of all other demographic information. We ask that you do not enter personal information or financial information into your "Profile." Please note that nowhere on the Site do we knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16, as we require that all Users represent to us that they are at least 16 years old.
- If you place an order for goods or services on Jobster, you may be required to enter your credit card number and information, as well as your address and/or other contact information.
- If you choose to build a Profile you will be required to register with the Personally Identifiable Information indicated above.
- You will also be able to enter information regarding your skills, experience and interests that will allow other Users to search for people like you. By default, your Profile will be public and available to Users of the particular Jobster website where you created your Profile and anyone else who searches the Internet for public information.
- You may also choose to show your Profile on other Jobster websites. The Profile information displayed to the public will be the same on all Jobster websites except for your personal contacts and responses to the optional Profile questions, which will appear only on the site where you answered the question or made the contact.
- By visiting your account settings, you can control who sees you. You can deactivate your Profile on all Jobster websites, which means your Profile is private, accessible only by you, not public and not available to Users of the site. If you would like to remove your membership from all Jobster websites, please contact us.
- Jobster may use your Profile information to match you to various job opportunities or Users. Once presented with the opportunity, you can choose whether to make contact with the matched User(s) or act on the job opportunity.
Personally Identifiable Information Collected by Jobster's Business Partners:
- Jobster works with employers, third-party advertising companies, sponsors and other companies with whom we do business ("Business Partners") to place advertising on our site and in email communications sent to our registered Users and to recipients of Job Opportunities, Job Search Alerts, and other communications related to the Jobster Service. Information about your visit to the Site and other websites, such as number of times you have viewed an ad, may be used in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
- Recipients of job opportunities have the option to inquire or forward the job on to friends. When you inquire or forward jobs, at minimum, your name and email address is shared with the employer offering the job. If you do not respond to a job opportunity, your contact information is not shared with the employer.
- Jobster may correlate or match registered User information, including Personally Identifiable Information, with information held by our Business Partners to target ads or otherwise improve the effectiveness of our service. Our Business Partners may read or set cookies on your hard drive, use pixel tags, track which ads you have viewed, or collect other information about you.
- From time to time, Jobster may also have special offers that are sponsored by a Business Partner. In order to participate in these offers, you may be required to follow a separate registration process. If you consent to receive information from a Business Partner, through an opt-in or opt-out process, Jobster may pass your information to such Business Partners.
- Jobster may also offer goods or services for purchase available by our Business Partners. If you purchase goods or services offered through Jobster by a Business Partner, then you may be required to submit Personally Identifiable Information in order to complete the transaction and Jobster may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to such Business Partner for that purpose.
- In some cases, we may enter into a relationship with a Business Partner in which we prominently display their brand name or trademarks on pages of the Site. These pages are known as "Co-Branded Pages" and these particular Business Partners are known as "Co-Branded Business Partners."
- If the page on which you submit information is a Co-Branded Page, or was accessed by clicking on a link on a Co-Branded Page, then we may share your personal information with the associated Co-Branded Business Partner. Co-Branded Business Partners may use your personal information in accordance with their own privacy policies.
- Jobster makes reasonable efforts to communicate the privacy preferences in your account settings to Co-Branded Business Partners, but we cannot guarantee that they will comply with your preferences. You will need to contact the Co-Branded Business Partner to instruct them directly regarding your preferences for the use of your personal information by them. Additionally, you agree that Jobster may use and disclose all such information so submitted to such Co-Branded Business Partners in the same manner in which we are entitled to use and disclose any other information you submit to us.
Jobster disclaims all liability for the privacy policies and procedures on any Business Partner or Co-Branded Business Partner Web site.
Cookies: Jobster wants to optimize your experience by ensuring that the most relevant information, searches and offers are displayed to you while using the Site. A common manner in which to do this is by placing cookies on your computer. Cookies are strings of text and numbers that can identify your computer to us when you visit the Site, and which may be correlated with your Personally Identifiable Information in our log files.
IP Address: We log standard information such as your IP address along with the URL from which you came to our Site and the URLs visited on our Site, which may or may not contain some Personally Identifiable Information. When we send messages to you or others, we may provide a URL link to the Site that contains an alphanumeric identifier, which allows us to identify the person to whom we sent the message so that we can personalize our content for that individual.
Use of Information
Use of Personally Identifiable Information by Jobster:
- We use the collected Personally Identifiable Information to verify you and to contact you in connection with your transactions, postings and other activities on the Site, to forward to you messages from other Users, to communicate with you about Job opportunities of interest to you and to operate the Jobster Service.
- Jobster may capture searches and other activity conducted by you on the Jobster Service in order to make suggestions to you regarding what similar searches, activities or topics might be of interest to you.
- These types of communications may contain commercial messages, such as banner ads and special offers. Each communication we send to you, other than communications sent to you for the sole purpose of addressing a technical or operational issue regarding the Jobster Service, will give you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving further such communications from us.
- Use of our invitation service to tell a friend about our Site or a job opportunity, or to participate in a referral chain, requires that you enter your friend's email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site or view the opportunity. Jobster stores this information to send this one-time email, to register a friend connection if your invitation is accepted, and to track the success of the Jobster referral program. Your friend may contact us at Jobster to request that we remove this information from view in our active database (please use Jobster Privacy in the subject line).
- Jobster uses your Personally Identifiable Information to help us provide you with personalized content, advertising, and commercial messages (collectively, "Content").
- Jobster does reserve the right to share your Personally Identifiable Information within the Site, with its parent, subsidiary or affiliated entities ("affiliated entities" are those companies owned or controlled by Jobster's parent company), and with its Co-Branded Business Partners as described above.
Use of Personally Identifiable Information by Other Users:
Other Users will be able to view the information that you provide on your Profile.
Other Users may choose to contact you. However, to ensure your privacy, Jobster will not display or give out your email address or any other contact information to other Users on the site. We have developed a process that uses a "double-blind" email system, which hides the email addresses of both the sender and recipient of email messages to protect the privacy of both the sender and receiver. When using the process on the site, it is up to you to choose when you are comfortable disclosing your email address, or any other contact information, to others through private communications.
Similarly, you may contact other Users on the site, and Jobster will hide your email address by using the "double-blind" email process on the site.
Use of Your Personally Identifiable Information by Jobster's Business Partners:
- In order to provide other offers of particular interest to you, Jobster may share demographic, geographic, and other Personally Identifiable Information with its Business Partners with your explicit consent (opt-in).
When We May Disclose Your Personally Identifiable Information, Jobster Communications Content, Data and Information
Jobster may disclose your Personally Identifiable Information or the contents of your private communications if required to do so by law or court order. Your Personally Identifiable Information may also be disclosed if necessary in order to complete a transaction such as the fulfillment of an order or purchase placed by you.
Jobster will in no way disclose the contents of your Jobster communications other than to the intended recipient(s) unless required (1) by law or court order, (2) to protect Jobster's rights and property, (3) to protect against unauthorized use of the Site, and (4) during emergencies such as when we believe someone's physical safety is at risk.
Also, certain technical processing of messages and their content may be required to: (1) send and receive messages; (2) conform to connecting networks' technical requirements; (3) conform to the limitations of the Service; or (4) conform to other similar requirements.
It is possible that as we continue to develop the Jobster Service and business, Jobster and/or related assets may be acquired. In such a transaction, customer information may be transferred to the acquiring entity.
This site has industry standard security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and integrity of the information under our control. Although we make good faith efforts to store the information collected by the Jobster Service in a secure operating environment that is not available to the public, we cannot guarantee complete security. You acknowledge that you provide your personal information at your own risk.Top of page
Compromise of Personal Information
Other Websites or Links
This Website contains links to other websites. Jobster is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.Top of page
You may elect not to receive future communications from Jobster or to discontinue use of our Service. If you are a registered User, please log in and visit your account settings page and uncheck the box related to sending information to you via email. You may also contact us.
If you have previously made contact (by expressing interest in a job, or participating in communication, or referring someone else for a job) with Jobster business partners, you must independently opt-out of communications from that individual company.
Individuals who wish to deactivate their Jobster account may do so. Removed information may persist in backup or cached copies for a reasonable period of time but will not be generally available to any User of Jobster.
Jobster allows its Users the option to change information previously provided. This may be done through the following method:
Log in to the Jobster Site, access your "Edit Profile" view. From here you can answer, delete, update or change any content that you have previously submitted.Top of page
It is our policy to provide notifications, whether such notifications are required by law or are for marketing or other business related purposes, to our customers or web site Users, via e-mail notice, written or hard copy notice, or through conspicuous posting of such notice on the relevant Jobster website or as determined by us in our sole discretion. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we reserve the right to determine the form and means of providing notifications to our customers or web site Users.Top of page
Changes to this Policy
Contacting the Web Site
Jobster Privacy Officer
1 Broadway, 14th Fl
Cambridge, MA 02142
Last updated April 15, 2010
- April 15, 2010 Updates: We amended the beginning of the agreement to reflect the acquisition of Jobster.com by Zapoint, Inc.
- March 31, 2009 Updates: We ammended the beginning of the agreement to reflect our official name change to Recruiting.com, Inc from Jobster, Inc.